Nikon has taken the next step in their imaging journey
Nikon has gone to the next phase in their imaging venture with the Z7 Mirrorless Camera, labeled "The Perfectionist," and the progressive Z System. This high-resolution FX-full
frame camera presents the Z Mount, a large diameter layout with a short 16mm
flange distance that enables Nikon to make smaller, yet powerful cameras and
design more advanced optics. The Z7 is among the first in the series, and carries with it a 45.7MP BSI CMOS sensor and EXPEED 6 Image Processing Engine, conveying exceptional picture quality and speed with a
native ISO 64-25600 sensitivity range.
Nikon Z7 Mirrorless Full Frame Shown with Z-Mount Adapter
On the sensor you will find an advanced phase-detect autofocus system utilizing 493 focus
points covering 90% of the picture region and the sensor highlights 5-axis Vibration Reduction innovation for
stabalized photographs and video with little heed to the lens utilized. This
advanced hybrid AF system also will enhance video. The Z7 highlights UHD 4K recording at up to 30p and can utilize the N-Log gamma profile alongside the camera's 10-bit HDMI yield to make film quality video. The camera's high-resolution sensor additionally allows the utilization of a 8K Time-Lapse mode.
Likewise with numerous mirrorless systems, the Z Series flaunts a substantially more
compact form factor than the previous DSLR cameras. The Z7 is no exemption with its thinned down
design and lighter build, however it keeps the weather sealing and ergonomics for which Nikon is
famous. The camera includes various screens and displays for convenience, including a 0.80x 3.6m-dot
electronic viewfinder with NIKKOR optics and a Fluorine coating, guaranteeing clear
viewing. The back of the camera is outfitted with a 3.2" 2.1m-dot LCD touchscreen
that tilts while the top offers a dot-matrix grid OLED for rapidly checking settings.
The Z7 has a solitary XQD card opening that is good with CFexpress for storage
and faster speeds later on. Moreover, the body is furnished with both Bluetooth
Nikon Z System
Introducing the Z mount, Nikon's full-frame mirrorless system promises to deliver class-leading image quality and optics in a compact form factor. The Z mount itself makes much of this possible with a 17% larger inner diameter than the F mount, enabling the use of more advanced optics and lens designs, including ultra-fast f/0.95 options. For minimizing camera and lens size, the Z mount features a 65% shorter flange distance, measuring just 16mm, which allows for dramatically slimmed down body designs. The larger mount also supports faster and larger-volume communications between the body and lens to improve overall performance throughout the system.
45.7MP FX-Format BSI CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 6 Processor
A 45.7MP BSI CMOS sensor is used for high-resolution shooting, impressive low-light quality, and fast readout speeds to benefit continuous shooting, movies, and time-lapse recording. The back-illuminated design of the sensor affords noticeably cleaner high-sensitivity output for reduced noise when working at high ISO values, up to a native ISO 25600, as well as vivid and smooth quality at sensitivities as low as ISO 64. The sensor's design also omits the conventional optical low-pass filter in order to achieve the greatest sharpness and resolution from the sensor. Benefitting the sensor is the apt EXPEED 6 image processor, which affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including the ability to shoot continuously at 9 fps in raw.
4K UHD Video Recording and 8K Time-Lapse
Utilizing the sensor and processor attributes for more than just still imagery, the Z7 is also a more-than-capable multimedia camera. Video recording is possible at UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) using either the full-frame area or a DX crop area in 30p, 25p, or 24p frame rates. Full HD 1080p video recording is also supported at up to 120p for slow motion playback, and video files can be saved to the in-camera memory cards or as an uncompressed file to an optional external recorder via HDMI out.
Advanced video functionalities have been added with the Z7. This includes the N-Log gamma for capturing flat-looking footage that maximizes dynamic range. Other additions are the ability to output high-quality 10-bit data over HDMI and an Electronic VR function for smooth handheld shooting. Focus Peaking can be used to benefit manual focus control and a Zebra Stripes option is also available to help detect over-exposed areas within the frame. Audio recording can be handled using the built-in stereo microphone or an optional external mic can be added via the 3.5mm stereo jack for greater control over quality, and live monitoring is possible via the headphone jack.
The Z7 also blends both still and video capabilities with the ability to produce 8K time-lapses using the Interval Timer Mode or in-camera 4K time-lapse movies, with the ability to record up to 9999 exposures for either method. This system also makes use of a silent interval timer, which produces no shutter noise, does not contribute to wear on the shutter mechanism, and is energy efficient to maximize battery life.
493-Point Phase-Detect AF System
Located on the sensor is an array of 493 phase-detect autofocus points covering 90% of the image area both vertically and horizontally. This provides fast and accurate focusing for both stills and video and with a wide coverage area, subject tracking will work out to near the edges of the frame. Hybrid AF is available for video, which will automatically switch between phase- and contrast-detect systems to provide smooth focus during shooting. Additionally, the latest NIKKOR Z lenses are optimized for silent operation.
- Built-in to the body is a 5-axis sensor-shift Vibration Reduction mechanism for up to 5 stops of stabilization regardless of the lens used. This system also works with adapted lenses when using the optional FTZ Adapter where 3-axis stabilization is used.
- A large 3.2" 2.1m-dot LCD screen is available for bright, clear, and vivid image playback and live view shooting. The screen has a tilting design to benefit working from both high and low angles, and it is also a touchscreen for more intuitive operation, navigation, and settings control.
- A 3.6m-dot electronic finder is present for comfortable eye-level viewing. It has a high 0.80x magnification and uses NIKKOR optics to guarantee a sharp, clear image. The finder also has a Fluorine coating for easier cleaning.
- The top panel of the Z7 is configured with a dot-matrix OLED. This low-energy display provides quick access to important camera settings.
- Configured with one XQD memory card slot, the camera will be able to quickly save images. The slot is compatible with CFexpress, enabling support for future media.
- A robust magnesium-alloy chassis is both dust- and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
- The ergonomic grip and overall form factor is shaped to benefit handling for extended periods of time and is further accentuated by an anti-slip material and a joystick for seamless settings and focus point selection.
- Built-in SnapBridge connectivity to enable seamless transfer of low-resolution imagery as well as remote shooting capabilities. BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Wi-Fi enables communication between the camera and a smart device and, additionally, the mobile device can remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera to enable working from a distance.
- Included EN-EL15b rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 330 shots per charge, and in-camera charging is supported. This camera is also compatible with EN-EL15 and EN-EL15a batteries, however do not support in-camera charging.
Nikon FTZ Mount Adapter
Enabling the use of nearly any Nikon F-mount lens on Z-mount mirrorless camera bodies, the
FTZ Mount Adapter
is a sophisticated means for expanding the range of usable lenses. While compatible with approximately 360 distinct F-mount lenses, this adapter is especially ideal for use with over 90 E, G, and D-type lenses, where it fully maintains autofocus and auto-exposure capabilities for seamless use of the SLR lenses on the mirrorless body. The adapter, which is built from magnesium alloy and is weather-sealed, also incorporates a 1/4"-20 mount on the base to provide a more balanced means for working on a tripod with longer, heavier lenses.
Nikon Z Mirrorless Components
Nikon Z6 Full Frame Mirrorless Camera
Nikon Z 24-70-Full Frame Zoom Lens
Nikon Z 35mm Full Frame Prime Lens
Nikon Z 50mm Full Frame Prime Lens
FTZ Mount Adapter
- Full AF/AE supported when using:
- AF-S type G/D/E lenses
- AF-P type G/E lenses
- AF-I type D lenses
- AF-S / AF-I teleconverters
Other Nikon 35mm Digital Cameras to Consider
Nikon Z 7 -
Announced Aug 23, 2018 -
46 megapixels - 3.2″ screen - Full frame sensor
- $3,396.95 - $3,996.95